Monday, September 23, 2013

Change is Coming

What have I done this time? I often write about how I see the world unfolding. This time it's all about me.

In 1989 when my family moved back to Russell, Manitoba I joined 677 Russell, Royal Canadian Air Cadet Squadron. After six years as a cadet and doing most of the most amazing activities the program has to offer, it was time to stop being a cadet. I really wanted to give back to the program and keep flying so I enrolled in the CIC. After about 6 years I ended up working full time as a CIC officer. A couple of promotions later and a posting to Ottawa, this amazing ride is going to take another change. I'm going back to part time service.

There are a lot of reasons I decided to change how I earn a living but the biggest is it's time.

I have been involved in the Air Cadet Program for 24 years. I'm not sure how much longer I could sit at a desk and do headquarters type work without starting to become jaded so I'm not going to let it happen. I can now get back to why I decided to stay involved in the program after being a cadet and that is to give back to youth in Canada. It's a chance to be one of the guys and not be worried about they myriad of issues that come with any full time job. It's a chance to help people develop and show them the best way to use the system. It's a chance to be able to express my opinion without it being confused with policy. It's a chance to show people how to use the structure to affect change. It's a chance to explain why things work and prepare them to be adults that make an impact.

I do not regret taking a full time job or coming to Ottawa. In fact, I may very well live here the rest of my life. I have unique experience and can use that to make things better at the grassroots level. I can be excited to go flying again. 

It's going to be different but it's also going to be amazing. I'm excited about how much I can do and the opportunities that may come.

No comments:

Post a Comment