Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Words and Numbers

I like words. They can describe a lot. They can emit emotion. They can describe something amazing or terrible. If put together effectively they can be amazing.

I also like numbers. Numbers can also describe things. They can put order to what may appear disorganized and help us understand the universe in a way that words cannot.

What I don't like is when numbers are used to replace words.

From time to time, people use numbers when a word is the proper tool to use. I was in the drive through at McDonalds to pick up my usual road meal, a Bacon and Egg McMuffin Meal with an orange juice. That's how I ordered it. When I rolled up to the window to pay for my not-so-healthy breakfast. When the cashier confirm my meal before payment she asked my if I had the number three.

In what way does the number 3 describe that meal?

An arbitrary number was assigned to the meal. It was not the 3rd step in a process. It doesn't have 3, 30, 300, or even 3000 calories. If it is consumed with a Number 2 meal, it doesn't give you something with a value of 5. The number three doesn't have any meaningful use other than differentiating it from the other meals on the menu. However, that's what words are for.

There are a lot of reasons you don't drive an airplane down a freeway. It's not the right tool for the job. So, why has it become acceptable to use numbers in the place of words? There are over four-hundred thousand words in the English language. They can describe nearly every phenomenon humans have ever encountered but some people insist on improperly using numbers to describe things.

There are times when a number is appropriate to use in a description. The Ford Mustang 5.0 is a great example. The number describes the displacement of the engine. The number is used properly. Another good use of a number is Step 3. By using the number you know it occurs between Step 2 and Step 4. The number is used properly.

I realize that some people don't want to think too hard about what they are trying to say but let's move forward and use words and numbers properly. After all there is more than enough words and combinations of words to describe what we want.

No comments:

Post a Comment