Monday, May 22, 2023

You Have to Play the Hand You are Dealt

 Poker is a pretty good metaphor for life. I fully admit I don't play a lot of poker but I know how and have played in the past. Poker takes a lot of patience, waiting for hands that will yield results. The game doesn't give me the dopamine dump I am looking for but, it has taught me some lessons.

The most important lesson is you have to play the hand you are dealt. We all know that the same people end up at the final table of the World Series of Poker every year. The longer you play in a tournament the less the hands you are dealt matter. A lot of people start the World Series of Poker but only one wins. As the hands pile up, and everyone's opportunities become more homogenous, those that know how to take advantage of ok and good hands will rise to the top. 

In life you need to do the same. Opportunities are everywhere and a few are great. Some are really good. Even more opportunities are good, and a lot are ok. If you keep waiting for the great opportunities to show up you will miss all the really good, good, and even the ok opportunities. The less than perfect opportunities are what move you forward. These are what you need to see and take advantage of, to get to a place where you can pounce on the really good and great opportunities. 

Another way to look at it is, you can't give up on an opportunity every time there is a hardship. You need to find a way. Yes, there are times that it is smart to stop, but rarely is it a good idea to quit when the solution isn't all that hard. You may not always have the resources you need for things to run smoothly. However, if you try anyway things may still run, activities and tasks will get completed, and you will be closer to the goal.

The most successful people try and fail a lot. They believe in themselves and their team a little too much, and because of that, they are successful a bit more often. That little bit more keeps moving them closer to the rare situations that most people can't imagine being in.

I'm not perfect. I let opportunities slip. I don't always see the potential in situations. I make bad decisions. However, I'm always looking to see how I can get closer to where I want things to be. I'm always trying to move forward. I'm always trying to get things done.

Poker is a game that reflects on life. To be at the final table, you need to see enough opportunities to make something happen with the cards you are dealt. The perfect hand may not come your way but a lot of good, and some very good hands will.

No comments:

Post a Comment