Thursday, July 16, 2009

Oh How It Changes

I feel as though the world may have changed around me. I remember a time when we used to be excited to wait for something. As I wrote about how impatient some of the world has become, readers of this blog have commented. To me these comments indicate that I may be in the minority on this subject.

I understand the need for timeliness on things. As time passes the relevance of something may be increased or more often decreased. It seems to be that delayed gratification is becoming a concept of the past.

I wonder why this is.

Is it become we have so much disposable income? Since so many people can have so much of what they want, when they want it, have we forgot the time when we had to wait to get it.

Sappy story alert.

My first major purchase in my life was my Coleco NHL Table Top Hockey Game. I saw it in the Sears catalogue, and a few of my friends had one. I wanted one. I seem to remember the cost was about $25, back in 1983. I saved my allowance of $1 for weeks and weeks to pay for this. Finally I had the money to pay for it. I think my dad had the last couple of bucks to pay for it. So we ordered the one I could afford. It was put on back order. I had to wait even longer. Then they substituted the fancy one with its own legs. Eventually it showed up. I still remember putting it together with my parents on the living room floor in our house on Pelly Ave in Russell Manitoba. I think the wait added to the total experience.

I still have that Table Top Hockey Game. For the record the teams were Philadelphia and Vancouver. (It was the era when the Canucks had the giant 'V" on the front and back of the jersey.)

I am sure that the wait for the game added to my memory.

I am not sure if we have these same types of memories today.

No comments:

Post a Comment