Sunday, April 18, 2010

The Music

A week ago a new series premiered on HBO. Treme is about New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. It follows some people as they try to rebuild themselves and their city after the devastation. I really like the first two episodes. Central to the story is music. It shows how music brings people together. It shows how music can help create a sense of community. It shows how music is part of our identity.

When I was young, I learned to play the piano. I was pretty good. I haven't played in a long time. There are days that I miss it. i like music a lot. I am often listening to music when I am working. It keeps me going. I think music is central to my experience.

The music I like the most is live music. There is something about listening to music as it is made. It can have a special energy and make a connection. It can stir you in your soul. It can make you think and feel.

There was a time I used to go see a lot of live music. I don't seem to be doing that as much. I'm not sure why and I should probably get back at it. That is one of those moments I like to be in. It gives me a good feeling. It puts the grind of everyday on hold and for a couple of hours I just take it in.

It's the music that makes me like this show Treme so much, but I'm sure there is more out there. I should get back to enjoying more live music, there is so much to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment