Thursday, August 29, 2013

Innovation

Yesterday I read this article from the Ottawa Citizen describing a very exciting and innovative  project that may bring electricity to many parts of the world that currently is not served. I found this very exciting because the implications could be far reaching. I have been thinking about it and the possibilities for other innovation throughout the world.

Now don't get me wrong. I like my first world stuff. I like my iPhone, and my big screen TV. Without unique thinking none of these items would exist. However, I think the unique challenges of the developing world, especially in rural areas provide the biggest opportunities for innovation.

Sitting in my high-rise apartment in Ottawa, I take a lot for granted. I have reliable energy to provide heat, cooling, light, refrigeration, information, sanitation, and entertainment. It's a very nice way to live. In much of the world some or all of these comforts are not available or reliable. This results in challenges. 

However, what if we can improve the infrastructure in under-developed areas? What if we can start to provide the affordable access to resources that the developed world enjoys? It can give many people new opportunities to provide for their families. It can open new markets in both directions. It can introduce new talent into the global marketplace. The only thing we have to do is put in the the time, effort, and resources. We need to look at what is not there and how do we get it in. We need to use local and scalable solutions and we need to do it now.

This is a great opportunity for investment. There are billion dollar ideas waiting to be developed and implemented. The markets will evolve. Moving a family from two dollars a day to ten dollars a day is a five-hundred percent increase in income. There are a lot of families in this category and it will have a huge impact on global buying power. More money will be moving and more people will be earning. Improved infrastructure will make it easier for new money to move into under-developed regions. Rural economies will have more opportunities to get goods or services out to move more money in. Everyone wins.

I have often said the best social programs are a good stable job. Most people want to be self-sufficient. The standard of living of a region can only improve if goods or services are flowing out, otherwise the money is just going around in a circle. Opportunities like what is presented in the article will help this.

If you can design things, consider making something to change a community a long way away. If you can invest, consider investing in these types of activities. It will make a big difference for a lot of people in a lot of places.

No comments:

Post a Comment