Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Maybe We Really Are What We Eat

I will start by saying I know I do not have a perfect diet.

I was in the grocery store today. As I was walking in, there was a woman who walked in just before me who appeared to put a lot of time and effort into living healthy. I took a look and carried on with my shopping. About half way through my shopping excursion our paths crossed again. Her cart was full of fresh vegetables, with a few other items. It became vary obvious she eats a very healthy diet.

This whole moment made me look around at several other shoppers to see if their appearance matches their food. It seemed to be rather consistent.

In a past life, I used to be a manager in a grocery store. Part of running a store is to observe what types of food were in peoples shopping carts. There is definitely a correlation, especially at the extremes. There were people who were so out of shape they were leaning on their carts to make it to the checkout. Their carts were full of processed garbage. In contrast the people who had carts or baskets full of lean cuts of meat, vegetables, and healthy beverages seemed to travel though the store with ease.

The one unfortunate thing I noticed is most people did not have as healthy food as I did, and like I said at the beginning, I know I do not have the perfect diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment