Sunday, September 27, 2009

Observations While Shopping

I noticed a couple of things while I was out and about this week-end.

I was in Walmart on Friday buying a couple of items. It wasn't going to take long to find what I needed and get to the cashier. As I walked past the 10 items or less line I noted it was very long. It was the setup where you have one line that leads into six tills. The line up was out the area reserved for the line and down the isle for about 30 feet. I thought that this was typical Walmart as I have often spent twice as much time waiting to pay as I do finding the items I require.

It took me about five or six minutes to find the items I wanted and return to the check-out. When I returned (warning I am about to say something nice about Walmart.) the excessive line had been cleared away. I spent about two minutes in line, payed for my goods, and left.

I have often not had good things to say about Walmart. I find a lot of what they do to be poor, but in this case on this day they exceeded my expectation and should be commended.

Today I was buying some groceries in Sobey's. I ended up in line to pay for my groceries. The lady in front of me had some reusable bags for her groceries. I admit we should reduce the amount of plastic we use, especially for a one time use item. By the time she had each piece of meat wrapped, and her rotisserie chicken put in separate bags, and some stuff she was picking up for a friend bagged separately, I'm pretty sure she used as many bags as if she had not brought her reusable. bags.

I believe we should try to do good for the environment. I'm sure she though she was. However, if you look at it critically she really didn't make a difference today.

When you look at the world around you, it is amazing what you may notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment