Tuesday, August 24, 2010

It Must Be A Popular Item

Last weekend I tried to buy an iPhone 4. After visiting about 20 retailers I'm fairly certain that none were available in Winnipeg. There is only one reason I could not get one. The system miscalculated the demand for this product. The only question is, did they miscalculate demand in general or was it just in the Winnipeg market?

Being out of stock is costly and foolish.

When someone makes a decision to purchase an item from your organization, you need to have it available. You need to be able to fulfill their purchase need. If you do not, chances are you have lost the revenue to another product or retailer.

The iPhone 4 may be a bit of an exception.

Apple has had a significant resurgence in the last 5 years. They have spent a lot of time studying how we interact with machines and their easy to use hardware and software has developed a loyal following. I know this first hand. I used Microsoft operating systems on various hardware platforms for most of my life. They have always been clumsy and difficult to use. When I started acquiring Apple products I discovered that computing doesn't have to be awkward.

I will continue my quest for the iPhone 4. I'm sure I will get one in the next couple of weeks. I'm sure I will be happy with my purchase. I'm also sure Apple will continue to put out great products.



No comments:

Post a Comment