Friday, October 21, 2011

The Good Old Hockey Game

Yesterday I took my parents to a hockey game between the Ottawa Senators and the Winnipeg Jets. Overall it was a very cool experience for me.  There were several things that made it so good.


First, the Winnipeg Jets were playing. After a 15 year hiatus from the NHL, Winnipeg has returned to the fold. The team needs to get better but after not having professional hockey in the Manitoba capital, worrying about how well the team will perform is a good problem to have.


Second, it was really cool that my parents came to visit me in Ottawa when the Jets would be playing. We didn't plan it that way. It was based on when I could get away from the office but it worked out really well. We could all go to the game together.


Third, I am so happy that I'm in a place that I can treat my parents to a NHL hockey game.  Mom and Dad did a lot for me growing up and this was a way I could do something for them.


Fourth, the Senators organization had a very nice tribute to Winnipeg pro hockey as part of the pre-game. It was nice to see the team in the city that I live show a warm welcome back to the league to the team from where I came from. They also had several players who played for both the Jets and Senator in the crowd and showed them on the big screen. (Anne Murray was at the game and introduced but I'm still at a loss as to how she fit into the whole theme of the night.)


The Jets didn't win. They did play well for a lot of the game but they need some scoring power. That will come with time. Right now its about being back in the big leagues.


Last night I went to see the Winnipeg Jets play live for the first time in 15 years. It's one of those moments I will get to remember for a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment