Tuesday, December 27, 2011

A Christmas Story

Last night I returned from my birthday and Christmas vacation to Manitoba. I had a wonderful time. It was one of the best Christmases ever. I didn't receive a bunch of extravagant gifts. What I did get was people's time.

People made time for me.

I'm a busy person and a year ago I moved out of the province I had lived in my entire life. I have been back and some friends and family have come to visit. These moments have become very important. As I move forward I don't want to lose touch with the people in my life. Taking the time to see me is important. A hug or a handshake is critical.

In this connected world, it's not hard to keep up on what's happening in someone's life. You can send a quick email or follow their status on Facebook. I'm not discounting how much this can help to maintain a relationship but there must be some shared experiences. And the willingness of people to take the time to see me, and have some shared experiences, is priceless.

I had other great moments in my trip. I went to a Winnipeg Jets game for the first time since April of 1996. I ate some amazing food, including a great Christmas dinner prepared by my sister and Baba made perogies at a friends place. I took care of 3 kids under the age of eight for a half a day and had no major disasters.

It was all these experiences and others that made for such an amazing trip. Through all of it, people were willing to take time to see me, and that's the greatest gift you could every receive.



No comments:

Post a Comment