Monday, December 5, 2011

Down Home Hospitality

I grew up in the Prairies and I live in Ontario. This last week-end I stayed at a friend's place in Halifax. The incredible hospitality I received reminded me of being out west.

I should probably frame this up a bit. I really like living in Ottawa. The city is beautiful, it's close to a lot, the pace is where I like it. Overall it's a great place to live. The downside to the pace of life in Ottawa is, although people are very social and friendly, they don't have the same sense of hospitality that you see in the Maritimes.

If you have never been here you would be impressed with how much people will go out of their way. I had great food, great conversation, a lot of fun and most importantly I was made to feel at home.

The pace in Halifax is a bit slow for my liking as a place to live but it is sure great when you come to visit.

The hospitality on the Prairies is also quite good but it has a different feel to it. Again people go out of their way for you but, at least in the winter, it's more out of necessity, as it gets so cold, everyone has to rely on others to make it through.

When I lived in Winnipeg I used to say that one of the best things about Winnipeg is no matter where you go it's better. I'm not sure if that's true but now that I live in Ottawa I know that many places I go I will be welcomed, and that feels pretty good too.



No comments:

Post a Comment