Sunday, January 8, 2012

Back At It

Tomorrow I go back to work after 3 weeks of vacation. This is the first time I have ever taken 3 continuous weeks off in my working life. There have been times I have taken 2 weeks and been ready to get back to work at the end of my time off. I was a bit concerned that I would be a bit stir crazy by the end. This is not the case. I don't want to go back. At this moment I would be fine with never working again. Financially, this is not an option but if it was, I think I would be resigning. I've been thinking the last couple of days about why I have no desire to return to the office. The best I can come up with is I enjoyed my time off so much, why should it end? I already wrote about how good my time was in Manitoba. I also enjoyed my time back in Ottawa. I was in the gym a lot and that always makes me feel pretty good. I got to spend some time with a friend I hadn't seen in a year. We had some good times and laughed. That always makes me feel good. I went to see the Winnipeg Jets play twice. Once in Winnipeg and once in Montreal. They lost in Montreal but the Bell Centre is undeniably fun when the Habs are winning, so even though the outcome wasn't what I was hoping for it was a great time. Enjoying my time may be why going to work doesn't seem so exciting. It may be a bit of a mid-life crisis. I turned 35 just before Christmas. Even though a waitress at the Honest Lawyer though I was 27, she doesn't have the ability to make it so. There are days when I take a bit of stock and I wonder what else could have been. What have I missed by working so much. It is possible I'm living the best possible version. This is just one of those things we will never know. I will get up in the morning and I will walk to the office, just like I do everyday. I will start into the work that needs to be done. There may be something amazing happen at work and the only way to know is showing up. There have been several great moments in my work life and if I go to work I'm sure there will be more. I'm very grateful for my spot in life but it's not perfect and I do wonder what a different version of my life would look like.

1 comment:

  1. This blog should be called first world problems. Oh no I have to go back to my fully employed life after taking more holidays than the majority of the country gets in a year.

    P.S. the waitress was looking for a tip. If you worked for tips would you call a person of the opposite sex old or young?

    ReplyDelete