Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Fit or Food

Nothing tastes as good as looking good feels. I've heard this a few times from people who work very hard on their fitness.  I've also heard it said that if you don't enjoy what you eat, you don't enjoy life.

I'm not sure if either of these approaches are quite right. I exercise regularly and I admit I really enjoy it. The amount of stress that disappears from a good hard workout is rewarding. As well, being able to be active and enjoy myself is great. However, I don't limit everything else in my life just to be fitter. There is a balance.

Likewise, I do eat healthy for most of my meals. I try to have balanced portions that hit all the food groups.  However, from time to time, I eat something that tastes good but may not be that good for me. I don't eat very rich or high calorie food all the time, it would probably make it less enjoyable in the long run. There is a balance.

If you look at it, this situation is like so many things in life. You have to have the right amount. Too much may not be a good thing.

Case in point, The same people who say how good it feels to look great are often the ones who say they can barely move their legs because they worked so hard, or they have no energy because they are prepping for a competition. That doesn't sound like it feels so good. As well, in my opinion, a bodybuilder on competition day doesn't really look that great.  Their face looks old and their skin looks shrivelled. A week later, when they have returned to their walking around weight, they look much healthier and better.

I also understand the enjoyment of setting a goal, working hard and sacrificing to achieve it. It can be a very rewarding and positive experience. Of course, I don't want to achieve a goal, look around, and realize I'm alone.  You need some balance in your life to make the journey worthwhile.

When I look at it from where I sit, if you can find some balance between staying fit and enjoying what you eat, you may have it figured out, but like everything else in life, it can be tricky to find that balance where everything is clicking. Maybe, that's part of the fun of living day to day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment