Sunday, June 17, 2012

Makes a Great Dad

I've been thinking about this all day. What I know is a great dad is someone who makes you strong and patient at the same time. My Dad did.


I was very fortunate to see him at work. It was impressive. He appeased customers and took care of his staff with short  concise sentences, often to one person. I remember the last day of the week-end when we took over the store, he said, "Did you check the door? We own it now, nobody is going to do it for us." That changed me forever.


However, that was not the most prolific thing my father ever said. Unfortunately I can't remember where we were or what we were trying to do but he said, "If we are going to do this, we are going to do this properly."


That has stayed with me forever, and it always will. It has become a guiding principle in how I do my daily duties. It has made me stop things from happening. It has made me go forward. It may be the best thing I can guide a decision on. It came from my dad.


I don't speak to my parents as much as I would like. They are very active. They are usually away when I have time to call. I'm happy about this. They are not sitting and waiting for their son who moved to Ottawa to call. They are out there living life.


I miss my dad. He always knows what to say. He does things to make it better, especially when life isn't so great. He bought tickets so I could see The Tragically Hip. Though a series of coincidences, I leaned on the stage in front of the front row watching a great Canadian band. 


When I told my parents I was moving east, all they were was supportive. They knew it was the right thing and it made it much easier not having to debate the point with them. I know my mom was on board but I know my dad was really happy.


My mom wasn't so keen on me learning to fly. (sorry mom, dad told me years ago) but dad smoothed it over.


I have too may stories to tell about how my dad was great. He taught me to drive a standard and a forklift. He trusted me to make deliveries. He didn't even get mad when I drove the truck into the front yard saw shop. (I wasn't the first)


Dad, I know you read my blog, and I never really express how you have made me so successful but, you are at the core of every decision I make because someday, I hope to be as good as you.


Happy Fathers Day!



No comments:

Post a Comment