Friday, June 22, 2012

One of Those Moments

Tonight I had supper on the floor of the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum in Hamilton, Ontario. As I ate I had the privilege of admiring one of the two remaining fully serviceable Avro Lancasters. I was a bit in awe. It was not the first time I ever saw this aircraft but its something you don't see everyday. There were a lot of amazing warplanes in the hangar. I perused them after dinner. As I was travelling back to the hotel I realized how fortunate I was.  I enjoyed my dinner in the presence of amazing vintage aircraft.


The whole experience got me thinking. Was this pure luck? Was there more to it?


I have always been someone who wants his regrets to be things I did, not things I didn't do. So, I try to take advantage of opportunities. For the most part it has served me well. I have made some bad decisions but I have done a lot of things that only present themselves once in a while. Tonight was an example. I was a bit tired. I could have skipped the dinner but I didn't. I went and was in awe. This is only a small example but when things come up, you have to go. You don't know how many opportunities there are for amazing moments but if you turn them all down I can assure you there will not be much in the way of amazing memories.


I realize resources are limited and people have commitments preventing them from dropping everything on a whim and doing everything. I'm not saying that turning down a single opportunity is going to lead to an unfulfilled life but get out there and do everything you can. Many opportunities don't cost a lot. If you are a good person, people will offer to do things for you or provide opportunities for experiences. Go and do it. It really doesn't matter what it is, it may lead to more and better. I didn't get to where I was on a single decision. It was a chain of events where I was proactive and next thing you know, I'm sitting on a hangar floor eating dinner and gazing upon a WWII heavy bomber. I didn't know I was ever going to end up there when I went on my first glider flight but it was part of the sum of experiences that helped set it up.


Life if full of amazing moments. Some are expected and some are random. All of them can be great if you get out there and live them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment