Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Oh, Quebec

I like Quebec. I willingly spend time there. There is a lot available there that you don't see other places. Once you spend some time in Quebec, it's not hard to admit they are distinct and it isn't just the language. For all that's good and all that's bad there is something I like about Quebec.

I also choose to not live in Quebec. As such, I really don't get a say in how they govern themselves. After the election results yesterday, I'm not sure if the residents of Quebec know what they want either.

I understand the desire for change. Four mandates to the same government is a stretch. I think the Parti Québécois squeaked out a minority victory because enough people want to remind the rest of the country that Quebec can still make waves.

The problem for Quebec is, as the makeup of Canada changes and the west continues to increase in influence, fewer Canadians care about Quebec. In Alberta, a lot of people feel Quebec is slowing them down. It's just another out of date institution in the East. They see it as a place that sucks up their transfer payments and they don't see it as a place to visit. Albertans are not jamming planes and flying to Montreal. I can understand. Until I moved to Ottawa, Montreal was not high on my list of places I wanted to visit.

I don't know what the future hold but I hope Quebec keeps it character and remains in Canada. I also hope all Canadians have a chance to enjoy the uniqueness of Quebec.



No comments:

Post a Comment