Sunday, September 2, 2012

It's Labour Day Again

For most of my adult life the idea of fall meant a return to routine, living in my apartment, and eating what I want - when I want. I spent so many summers working away from home, the idea of an endless summer was not attractive.

This summer I did things I have never done. 

I worked normal 5 day work weeks. I didn't work on Canada Day. I had two 3-day weekends in July. I exercised regularly. I wore shorts on a regular basis. I enjoyed my summer.

There are a few things I missed.

I didn't fly anything all summer. I like to fly and it used to be a big part of my summer. I miss helping people develop. I used to spend a lot of time, making others perform at a level higher than they thought they could.

I was at a point where a change was needed. It was time to live a bit more of a normal life. Of course, more normal usually means less exciting. There were not daily adrenaline shots. There wasn't the joy of a perfect tow shift where you were hitting your spots all day and putting on a clinic with your landings. However, I also didn't have to check my watch to have a beer. I normally knew when my workday would end. I could commit to things and not have to cancel at the last minute.

Looking aback on the summer that was i have come to realize that I think a summer of flying and a summer of normal work days both bring upsides and drawbacks. Either summer would be acceptable in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment