Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Trudeau-maybe-a

As it has been reported by every news agency in the country, Justin Trudeau has indicated that he will be seeking the leadership of the Liberal Party of Canada. I for one think this is a good thing. That being said, he hasn't won it yet and has no record as the leader of any political party.

I still think its a good thing.

He's got a few things going for him. He has brand recognition. His father ran the country. Despite some blunders like fuddy-duddy, he did fairly well. He is young, fit, energetic, charismatic, and has good hair. Lets be honest, at the end of the day elections are just popularity contests. You are not vetted based on your knowledge, skills, abilities, or effort. You simply have to be either the most liked or the least hated person on the ticket and you are in. When Justin Trudeau walks into a room people notice. It gives him a chance to share his ideas.

The most important point in my eyes is, at least today, he comes across as someone you would be comfortable to have as the nation's leader in the international area. I think a lot of good hard-working people who ran for the Liberals in the last two election did not win based on their credential but because a lot of people did not see the leader of the party as a good person to be the leader of the country in the international area. Remember, an election is a popularity contest and those leaders were not very popular.

I'm not saying I'll vote for the Liberals in the next election if Justin Trudeau is leading the charge but I'm not saying I'll vote against them either. In the era of the internet it's easy to get info on all the candidates and as always I will do my research and see who has the answers I want on the issues that matter to me. However, if Justin Trudeau brings his A-game, I'm sure the Liberals will have a fighting chance and the discussion will be a lot more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment