Monday, January 14, 2013

Sometimes It's Different

A few days ago I came across a re-tweet. It got me thinking. I'm not a technical guru so today I grabbed a screen shot from my phone.

The author of the tweet has a good point. Why did it seem fine to most people that fans of a professional sports team that was moving to Winnipeg were disrupting traffic in downtown Winnipeg but it wasn't for a group of protestors?

I have been stewing on this for days and I think I might have an explanation. Please keep in mind this is my opinion on why things are the way they are not what is right or wrong.

I think Winnipeggers were ok with the Jets fans because they were celebrating a source of civic pride. It doesn't matter if you agree if professional sports teams are important it does bring an element of pride to a city. So, on the day it was announced that the Atlanta Thrashers had been sold to True North Sports and Entertainment and people took to celebrating in the most famous intersection in Canada, most people saw it as a great day for Winnipeg. There was no asking, only joy and happiness.

On the flip side, often when a group of people protests, many people see it as complaining. I'm not suggesting that a group of protestors don't have legitimate claims but often this is not how it is seen by the general population. So, when you are inconvenienced they often don't empathize with the protesters. 

So, in my mind, it comes down to people being much more tolerant of celebrating than protesting. I'm not suggesting it makes it right but I think that's the way it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment