Thursday, February 21, 2013

Parking

I think I may have missed my calling. I should be running a parking lot in downtown Ottawa. The last two days I have been doing some training out by the airport so I have been driving out there and when the training is done driving to the office, arriving downtown between 11 am and noon. From that point forward I had to troll about to find a parking lot that had a spot available. This is not the easiest task to accomplish. Most of the lots are full however, both days I was able to eventually find a lot that had a spot available.

Both days I dealt in cash, with a guy who had a rather thick Eastern European accent and I had to be out of the lot by 6pm. All this seems a bit sketchy. However, if there is no cash register and no record of me really being there, it's hard for the Canada Revenue Agency to accurately assess his income. Also, it was only $10 or $11 to park all day and all day seemed to be the only option available so he probably had a pretty good wad of cash in his pocket by the end of the day.

I have no proof that they are not legitimate business men but one of them was running the whole thing out of his car. Take that however you want to but it all seems a bit fishy to me.

Most people who work in downtown Ottawa either live close enough to walk to work or take the bus. It's a fact of life in Ottawa. There is not nearly enough parking space for everyone to drive to work. I much prefer the walking approach. It is healthy, economical, and best for the environment. We must not forget that I am also often entertained.

Parking in Ottawa is a bit of a racket and may or may not be a front for other activities, I'm just thankful that I don't have to deal with it on a regular basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment