Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The Old Noggin

Today, the Canadian communications company Bell is donating a nickel every time someone tweets #BellLetsTalk. The whole initiative is to raise funds and awareness for mental illness.

In some ways I am very lucky. When it comes to body parts that I can rely on, my brain seems to always answer the bell. I'm not saying I don't make mental errors but my noggin seems to work as advertised. I can't say that about several of my body parts anymore. My left knee is a bit wonky from curling. My right shoulder isn't quite right after a rather spectacular wipe-out skiing. Even my voice still occasionally cracks over twenty years after puberty but the noggin keeps on ticking.

Not everyone is as lucky. For whatever reason, a lot of people seem to have their brain go on the fritz. It can be really hard to detect, especially if you don't know that person very well. So, if you are feeling off or helpless, or confused, or even just not right, don't be afraid to talk to someone. You may just be having a bad day or you may be starting something much worse.

I am not an expert in mental health but I know there can be a lot of reasons the brain doesn't work as advertised. It can be brought on by stress or trauma. It can be a lack of good coping skills. It can be a combination of all of it or something else completely. The difficult part is, unlike a cold, it can be hard for others to see the real problem so, don't be afraid to talk about it.

I've been lucky. My brain works as advertised but don't be afraid to speak up if you think yours may need some help. It make a big difference in the long run. Also, if someone trusts you enough to talk to you about stuff like this, take the time to listen. It may be the best thing you ever do for anyone, ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment