Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Random Compliments

I like to compliment people. I probably don't do it as often as I should. As I witnessed yesterday a compliment can make you feel really good.

I was at the gym yesterday morning, doing my thing as I often do. It was nearing the end of my workout and I was riding the exercise bike while I sweated up a storm. A random guy hopped on the bike next to me and tapped me on the arm to get my attention. The following is the conversation.

Random Guy: Did you used to go to Goodlife at Rideau Centre?
Me: Yes. (At this point I'm expecting a question about why I switched.)
Random Guy: Wow, you've shredded a lot of weight. Good job.
Me: Thanks.
Random Guy: How much have you lost?
Me: About 20 pounds. (In all honesty, I don't know when he was comparing it to but I have lost 10 pounds since Christmas and 30 since moving to Ottawa so I figured 20 was a good middle ground)
Random Guy: I barely recognized you, not that I was stalking or everything, good job, keep it up.
Me: Thanks.

You may be thinking this was some creepy dude. Maybe he was but if you don't regularly use a gym for your fitness activities there are a couple of things you should know. 

First, exercising is not the most mentally stimulating activity so a lot of people tend to people watch at the gym while they work out. 

Second, if you go regularly at the same time, you will tend to see the same people over and over again.

If you combine the two you watch the same people over and over again as you try to get into shape.

Now, to have a random stranger compliment you is awesome. For you to do something to a level that someone you don't know and will never get anything from you to feel the need to speak up and say something is extremely motivating. I was shocked it happened to me.

So, when you are out and about and you see someone do something that impresses you, throw them a compliment. It costs you nothing and will make their day better. If everyone passed more compliments the world would be a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment