Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Nervous About the Gym

When I took a job that involved a lot of travel, one of my plans was to ensure I exercise on the road. It's a good use of time and is a lot better than just sitting around a hotel room. So today, on day two of my new job, I hit up a new gym.

This is not the first time I have gone to a new gym location. There have been different gym with the Canadian Forces and since moving to Ottawa and obtaining a Goodlife Fitness membership, i have used a few of their locations. In fact, that's one of the best benefits of Goodlife Fitness, your membership is good at any of their locations.

Before every time I go to a new location I feel nervous.

Once I get going the nerves go away and I get down to business but why am I nervous in the first place? There are probably a few reasons. There may be different equipment that isn't quite what I'm used to and I will have to adapt. When you are pushing yourself to the limit, you want it to go as planned. There may not be all the equipment you want. i haven't seen this problem with Goodlife Fitness but often the exercise room in a hotel is severely lacking.

I think maybe the biggest thing for me is I don't want to look new. It's a bit vain but I want to seem like I know what I'm doing and I know where the next piece of equipment is. Also, I don't want to interrupt someone else's experience because I don't know where to find the quad extension machine.

I know that there should be no reason to be nervous about exercising in a different location. I know I'm not going cause any grief for others and it will have everything I need to get the job done. Nonetheless, it is interesting that I feel this way every time I use a new facility.

No comments:

Post a Comment