Sunday, February 9, 2014

On the Road Again

For the last eight and a half years I lived in Winnipeg I traveled a lot for my job. I was away from home an average of one-hundred days every year. I missed a lot of things and my friends were often annoyed. There were times I really didn't like it.

I'm writing this from a hotel room in Mississauga. Tomorrow I am starting a new job with a lot of travel. It is a Territory Manager position in Eastern Ontario and I'm real excited to start the job.

When I looked back over my working life, I found that I enjoyed my job the most when I was travelling a lot. Because of this I will now be travelling on a regular basis. I think what I like the most is the variety that work travel provides. When you don't go to the same place everyday and see the same people, it can be a lot easier to deal with the annoying folks out there. I'm not big on routine so this will work well.

I also have a plan to exercise while on the road. It sure beats sitting in my hotel room and twiddling my thumbs one night every week. I'll be able to stay in shape and make good use of my time on the road.

It feels a bit like I'm going home. I will be travelling regularly and I will be once again working in building materials. I grew up in that industry, literally. My wonderful father owned a lumber yard when I grew up. It feels really right and being someone who identifies with what he does for a living, it is important to believe in who you work for and what you do.

Again, I'm taking on a new adventure. This one feels like it will fit really well. Of course, only time will tell but I was happy when I was travelling and once again, I will be travelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment