Thursday, May 22, 2014

Photography is Good for the Soul

Several years ago, when my hobby of flying became my job I realized I needed a new hobby. There had to be something in my life that I did for myself, at my own pace for challenge and enjoyment. I decided on photography.

Rusted Anchor at Peggy's Cove NS
There are a lot of things I like about taking pictures but most of all I like how it allows me to show others a bit of how I see the world. It's a chance to capture the beauty of the world around us. We often see beauty and I like to capture it.

I have taken a lot of pictures. A lot of them are bad and are never shared. Some of the better ones I organize and put on the Facebook so others can enjoy.

Moss on a branch at Cathedral Grove BC
Today after work I decided to grab my camera and go for a walk for the first time in a long time. There are a lot of reasons I can give for not getting out and taking pictures. The weather was not very nice for a long time. I have been really busy with changing jobs twice and moving in the last six months. However, I have to be honest, getting out and walking with my camera was a great decision. It was a chance to see some of the world around me and capture some of it's beauty. 

Smartphones have changed photography. If you know what you are doing, you can take good pictures with your smartphone but I don't feel like I have the same control as you do with a single lens reflex camera. Being able to control the focal depth, and exposure gives you a lot of control and can lead to great pictures. You can tell a story or capture something truly unique. It's a lot easier to focus the attention of the photograph.
Colourful trees in Ottawa ON

I have to admit, I have not mastered all aspects of the craft. I still find it a huge challenge to take a good picture of humans. I haven't figured it out. I think it's more luck than anything else when I get a good picture of someone. People are so variable and dynamic. It's hard to capture them in the ideal moment. That being said, not mastering everything yet leaves a challenge to be worked on and I always find a challenge is a good motivator.

For me, photography is a great hobby. It can go with me when I travel. It allows me to be creative and I find it very rewarding. Beauty can be found in the the obvious and unexpected locations and capturing it to share is a very rewarding way to spend my time.

Me

No comments:

Post a Comment