Friday, May 16, 2014

The Strength to Change

About a year ago I wasn't so happy with my work life and it was spilling over into the rest of my life. The program I had been a part of for the last twenty years and had dedicated eleven years of my working life to was falling apart around me. My first instinct was to grind it out and make the best of it. I was going to make whatever was left of the program into the best it could be. It sounds like the right thing to do but it was killing me. It was killing my motivation and I didn't want to dismantle something so important to me. I didn't get a long with my boss and that didn't help this situation. If you don't feel like you can trust the person who should always be looking out for you as you are expected to dismantle the program that made the single biggest improvement in your life.

So, I decided it is time to make a change.

As miserable as I was, leaving a job with all the benefits I had was difficult. I made a lot of money. I had a lot of vacation. These are nice. However, I realized that when you are loathing getting up and going to work, especially on Monday morning, it's time.

I started looking for a job. I applied for a lot of different jobs. I almost got a job I would be good at but I came in number two. That one really stung. I started to think outside the box. Some jobs are a lot easier to get than others.

I secured a position selling cars.

Since the day I started selling cars I can honestly say that I do not regret leaving my old job since that day. There were some things I liked about selling cars and a lot I didn't like about it. However, from that experience I realized that I can change if I want to.

Last January my phone rang one morning. It was from the company that I had applied to the summer before. The position was once again available and they wanted to know if I was still interested. I was. Selling cars, at least in the environment I endured, was not for me. We met, I was offered the job and I accepted.

It was 30 weeks ago that I started selling cars. I sold cars for fifteen weeks, I took a week off and I have been in my current position for 14 weeks.

I am happier than I've been for a long time.

I'm excited to go to work every day. I am making a difference. There are a lot of great people around me and I have a lot of fun.

It was scary to walk away from something you have been doing for a long time. The transition was not all that smooth. I worked through selling cars to get to a better place. At times it was scary. At times it was frustrating. However, once I found my way, life is much better.

If a part of your life isn't good, have the strength to change. I'm not saying it will be easy but once you are on your proper path, life will get better and you will smile a lot more. Let's be honest, who doesn't like to smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment