Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Too Bad We Can't Be Libertarian

For a long time when people ask me how I want the world to be run, I tell them that I want the government to stay out of my affairs, both business and personally. Liberals want to regulate how you do business but will give you a lot of personal freedom. Conservatives will tell you how you should behave but will let you conduct your business affairs with few checks and balances. A Libertarian wants to stay out of both.


I have come to realize that although I could function quite well in that system, most people could not, and we would end up with more problems that we would fix.


I like to see the best in people but I'm starting to think that most people need some help from the government. In the western world, our political spectrum is really about how we help and what we let go.


If I have learned anything from the current US Presidential Election is that a lot of people would not survive without some help.


No thoughtful person with a basic education should even consider voting for Donald Trump.


Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big fan of Hillary Clinton. No matter how much the media paints her to be the best in the land to lead the land, I don't see it. I don't question her experience. I don't question her drive. Even though she had the right answers during the first debate, she really didn't show she could control the room and drive the conversation. The best leaders are the ones who don't need the title to be seen as a leader and I don't get that feeling from her.


However, despite my reservations, she is light-years ahead of Donald J Trump, except in the polls. The fact that she is not going to beat him with a ratio of 9:1 makes me believe that Libertarianism won't work.


Too many people are not responsible enough to do the research and make sound decisions so we can leave everyone up to their own devices. To many people would cause too much harm to themselves or others that society would crumble. Too many people cannot be trusted to do what's just and right to get rid if most of the rules.


I'm not talking about criminal acts. We have to keep adding consumer protection laws because too many people blindly make decisions without knowing the consequences of these decisions. People are expecting to be told every detail instead of doing some research for themselves. When something goes wrong, people are distraught instead of adapting and overcoming. I honestly think it's easier to be exceptional today than it was 20 years ago. This is not an environment where a Libertarian ethos can be effective.


So, as much as I want as little governmental regulation over any of my affairs, I understand that for the greater good, they need to step in and build a structure around protecting the weakest, because the weakest makes up a much greater percentage of the population than anyone wants to admit. The level of support received by Donald Trump more than proves this.

No comments:

Post a Comment