Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas On The Prairies

After moving to Ottawa and briefly living there I have returned to the prairies for Christmas. I have noticed a couple of things in returning.

It is dry on the prairies in the winter. I have always known it is dry but it has always been a gradual transition. Returning to Winnipeg and proceeding to Brandon has quickly dried me out. It is what it is but I now better understand why so many people comment on it.

The pace of life is slower on the prairies. I don't find the pace in Ottawa to be overwhelming. In fact it is just the pace that is. However, I have always found Brandon to move a bit slow and now it seems to be even slower. I have definitely become a city person. I have known this for years. It was reinforced when I moved to Ottawa. The slow pace is nice for a few days but I don't want to live this way.

People get excited for Christmas everywhere. The Christmas spirit is prevalent in both places. This is probably the most important point. It is important to take time for the important people in your life. It is important to reflect and look forward. We can become so busy with the day to day stuff that we forget to look around. The holidays are a time to do that. They are a time to take stock. They are a time to set priorities. They are a time to be thankful for what the world has given you.

I'm spending Christmas on the Prairies and I'm happy to be doing so.




No comments:

Post a Comment