Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Ontario Resident

I spent most of the day dealing with my driver's license and changing my vehicle registration. This was the last thing I needed to do in relation to the move and one of the most time consuming. I'm not going to talk about how I spent a lot of my day waiting in lines to get this done.

As I went through the motions today I unexpectedly discovered how much of my identity was attached to my driver's license and license plates.

I realize this may be a bit irrational but until I moved to Ottawa I had always been a resident of Manitoba. I had lived in a few different places in Manitoba but I had always lived in the same province. By moving to Ontario this has changed. With Manitoba plates on my vehicle, I was special in my own mind as I drove around. Now I am just like everyone else.

I'm not sure if anyone else has connected their identity to where they held their driver's license but I did. I did not expect this feeling to come about but it did. It may be that this is the last thing I had to deal with and there is no going back. I don't want to go back but I keep feeling like I'm going to wake up from the dream and go back to how life was. I'm sure this feeling will pass.

I have completed everything connected with relocating and I am now a full-fledged resident of Ottawa Ontario.




No comments:

Post a Comment