Saturday, December 4, 2010

Let's Go Downtown

I just finished reading a story in the Winnipeg Free Press about all the surface parking lots in Downtown Winnipeg. It was a well written story that explained the issues quite well. I should have stopped reading before I got to the comments. The comments were not as ridiculous as on CBC.ca but very mis-informed about downtown Winnipeg.

I lived in downtown Winnipeg for just over eight years. I only left because because I was promoted into a new job in Ottawa. I thoroughly enjoyed my time living downtown. It is safe. There is a lot of places to eat and things to do. It is central to everything in Winnipeg.

I realize there are panhandlers but nearly all are harmless. They will ask and let you go on your way.

I also realize there are a lot of people dead set against living in a dense urban environment. These are foolish people. If you do not live in a community where you can walk to do many things you will not be able to afford to live. You must be able to move about your day without complete reliance on fossil fuels.

The suburbs are life sucking, cookie-cutter, bland expanse. I don't know what people do for fun out in the suburbs. Do they go to their neighbor's house that looks just like their own home? Much of suburbia is a lifeless expanse.

In Ottawa I live and work downtown. I walk to work. I get exercise and I avoid the expense and environmental effects of driving. I have not driven m y own vehicle in 2 weeks. Granted I have not been home for a week. I can walk to a lot. Many restaurants, sights, bars, a very large shopping centre, and recreation. It's great. I would not trade it.

I realize the cold winter puts a hamper on walking in Winnipeg but the downtown is very well connected by skywalks.

I know urban living is not for everyone but a lot of people don't understand the benefits of it. Those are the ones who are missing out.



No comments:

Post a Comment