Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Value of Staying Optimistic

I have to admit, I'm not having the best week. I haven't slept well for several nights and there is a lot on my mind. So, when I looked out the window before leaving the office yesterday and it was raining lightly, it seemed like it couldn't get worse.

I don't mind walking to or from work in light rain. It's a lot better if I have a jacket but on the good bad scale its really not bad. Yesterday I didn't have a jacket and it just irked me. I actually complained out loud to the two people within earshot. We all have those moments. I also knew it would be a rainy day today so I figured it would be better becuase I would be prepared with my jacket.

This morning as I left for my 30 minute walk to work, it wasn't raining at all. I thought I had cheated nature. I figured it was going quite well. About a block before King Edward, I looked at the sky and my heart sank. It was dark on the horizon, coming my way, and I had to walk right into it. By the time I reached the Rideau Centre, it was raining quite hard. my jacket was soaked, my wool pants were drenched and even my feet were starting to get wet. What's worse is it is still about 10 minutes of walking to get to the office. Thankfully the rain let up to a light but very steady rain by the time I arrived at work.

Many people tell me that I'm a glass half full kind of guy. Often I am, there is no point in complaining when that energy can be used to solve the problem. This week I have not been so cheery and I lost a relatively good afternoon to my own grumpiness. If I would have stayed optimistic, I would be in a better place right now.

Time flies, and before you know it you have a lot of stories to tell. The key is to recognize when things aren't so bad and see the upside whenever you can. I lost what would have been decent time because I didn't, I'm sure I will do it again but I hope I limit the occurances to as few as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment