Sunday, June 5, 2011

13,000

I don't live in Winnipeg anymore, for the most part I don't miss it. I do miss my friends. That being said, I wish I would have been in Winnipeg last week.

The return of NHL hockey to the Manitoba capital has been nothing short of special. In less than seven days it was announced the Atlanta Thrashers would be relocating to Winnipeg and 13,000 season tickets were sold. There were doubters but the residents of Winnipeg said give us a team and when it happened, they responded.

Anyone who lived in Winnipeg when the Jets left and has been around since knows the city has changed. Enough of the changes are good and I think the Winnipeg citizenry realizes if you want things in your city they must be supported. They also know if you don't have things in your city it is not as good a place to live.

Winnipeg has a sense of community. It has always been strong and will get stronger with NHL hockey. The people will feel like their city matters. They will be known for more than just crime and poverty. They have something else to rally around.

I will admit that hockey is not my favorite sport. Football will always be the game in my mind but I also have a place for hockey.

With NHL hockey in Winnipeg it makes it a place to be, and hopefully it will help a city feel important again.



No comments:

Post a Comment