Monday, August 22, 2011

Jack

I have to admit that I didn't share his political views. I feel it's important to say that. There is a lot of things I did admire about him.

Jack Layton passed away early this morning. When I heard the news I was saddened. I'm not going to say he would have made a great Prime Minister. He may have but we will never know. He was taken from us too early.

It doesn't matter what you believe about how a nation should be run, it was clear that Jack Layton was trying to do what he believed would make Canada better. It was clear that he worked to make others lives better. He clearly wanted to help.

Jack was a very educated man. He had the knowledge to back up his ideas. That's not what made him good at what he does. He knew how to communicate. He knew how to take the idea and make the voters understand his point. He connected well with young voters. He spoke their language. He motivated them to vote.

Jack Layton invigorated the New Democratic Party. In some ways he turned it into the Jack Layton Party. People liked him and would vote for his party, regardless of what the party was trying to do. His big smile and clear, simple explanations mixed with direct questions made him very popular.

Back in June I saw Jack Layton walking through Terminal 1 at the Toronto Airport. It was just him, going about his business without an entourage. He was the man he portrayed himself to be.

I think our national political scene has lost a key ingredient. Not because I agree with what he wants to do but because he would ask straightforward questions looking for straightforward answers. I think that's what I admired the most about Jack Layton.

Thank-you for your service to our great nation.



No comments:

Post a Comment