Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Don't Overdo It

Last weekend I curled in a bonspiel. It's the same one I have gone to for years. There was a bit of a twist this year. I haven't thrown a curling rock in a year. It's not the end of the world but like any physical activity, if you haven't done it regularly you should probably ease into it.

The way the draw worked out, I had to play two games on the first night. It wasn't really a good job of taking it easy. My somewhat competitive nature may have influenced me to play as hard as I can.

It turns out if you are your mid-thirties and jump into two games with both feet, you may feel the consequences of your actions.

Despite the fact that I walk back and forth to work and exercise regularly, I could definitely feel some muscles that Re not used to curling. The main muscles were ok but all those muscles that support you had a different opinion. My ankles hurt. The inside of my left thigh definitely knew I had thrown some curling rocks, and my right thumb definitely lost some mobility for a few hours.

By Sunday night any curling related pain was gone and only the great memories of all the fun remained. I may have jumped in with little regard for injury but I had no regrets since I had so much fun.



No comments:

Post a Comment