Thursday, February 9, 2012

The Value of Standards

For a long time I was a Standards Officer. It was my job to ensure that things happened the way they are supposed to. It's not always easy to do so but it is important.

Tonight, I went for supper in a restaurant in the Fairmont Chateau Frontenac, in Quebec City. The meal was impeccable. A big reason it was so good is the organization has high and uncompromising standards for their meals.

Operating to a high standard can be expensive. It can lead to significant training costs and large rejection rates. That being said, having high standards and projecting that image, can allow you to charge a premium price. The meal I had tonight was not cheap but I felt I received value for my money.

I understand that not everyone can be The Fairmont. That being said, everyone can do the best job possible within the resources they have. Anything less is not maximizing value for yourself or the people you serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment