Thursday, April 18, 2013

If We Could Change, How Should We?

I've been thinking about change a lot recently. There are a few reasons. The Liberal Party of Canada has chosen a new leader.  I don't specifically speak about work here but change is in the air at the office. It's spring, a season of renewal and change.

Through all this, I'm not sure what would be a good change. Back in the fall of 2010 I started a new job, in a new city, in a new province, in a new region of the country. It was a big change but I can say that I'm happy I made the switch. Overall I think my life is better. There are things I would still change if I had the chance but I can easily say I'm happy with my decision to make a change.

All that being said, I feel that more change is coming. I think it's coming on a national level in that what Canadians want is shifting. I think that it's coming on a personal level in some way shape or form. What I'm not sure of is this feeling coming on because there is a desire for something different or a clear path to something better.

Nationally, I'm starting to sense that Canadian's shifting priorities are ready to focus on something else. We did pretty good getting though the economic setbacks and most people are still above water but I get a sense that Canadians are finding the world a bit bland. They are safe but not inspired. They know its good but don't want to seem to make it great. There is a lot of wait and see instead of lets do something great.

However, maybe that's not most Canadians, maybe it's just me.

I don't seem to have that same adventurous feeling I do at times. I feel like I have to grind through everything. It's not a chore but its not inspired either. It's a follow the rules time not a change the paradigm time.

Another reason is I am getting older. It's nice to be comfortable. It's nice to be stable. It's not exciting and you don't get a rush but you do have a predictable life.

Don't worry, I'm not bummed out and I'm not going to do something stupid or dangerous to feel alive. However, when you spent a lot of your adult life going places on short notice and your plans for the day were often upset for something urgent or exciting opportunities popping up last minute, the predictable life is just that, really predictable.

I don't how how things are going to change, I gave up soothsaying a long time ago. I wasn't very good at it. It is a bit exciting to think there is new different and possibly exciting around the corner even if it may be new but bland. I just have a feeling that we are all going to be looking at some change, in some way coming at us. That is exciting and a bit scary, as it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment