Saturday, February 6, 2010

Award Shows

We are well into award show season. There are the Grammys, the Oscars, the Emmys, the Daytime Emmys, the Golden Globes, the People's Choice Awards, it goes on and on. I don't get it. I don't see why people watch these shows. I don't think you make music, or movies to win awards. You make them to express yourself. You make them to to tell a story. You make them to help people see the world as you do.

Somewhere along the way these awards turned art into a sports competition. It's not. I understand it is important to recognize when people do things well, but the idea of Oscar buzz is ridiculous. Who's going to win. Who cares. I love music and movies. There are a few TV shows I like. It doesn't matter to me who gets a statue to say it was the best. What makes it the best? Is your best the same as my best? It just doesn't matter to me.

If you want to watch competition watch sports. Watch a football game. Watch the Olympics. Watching awards shows doesn't matter. The product is already produced. the ending is known. It sucks all the excitement out.

I realize a lot of people like awards shows. I am not one of.

No comments:

Post a Comment