Sunday, February 21, 2010

Olympic Coverage

If you are Canadian and pay for some of your TV you have a lot of Olympic coverage. I know, I have been on vacation since the Vancouver 2010 games began. I have watched a lot of coverage. I have watched coverage of sports I never watch. I have watched coverage is parties. I have watched coverage of an intern waiting in line to ride a zipline. I have watched coverage of the Japadog.

I think I have watched too much coverage.

It must be a gargantuan task to produce that much coverage. It must be even more challenging to keep it fresh and interesting everyday.

Overall the coverage has been good. Some of the guests have been better than others. Some of the interviews have been a lot tougher and some have been cream puffs.

The Winter Olympics is a much smaller event than the summer counterpart. Many things go unnoticed in the Summer Games. Nothing is going unnoticed in this Winter Games. Every parent, every significant other, every celebrity, and every friend is being caught and talked about. The Olympics are about humanity coming together. That is being captured. Are there moments that may be too invasive. Yes I'm sure there are, but it's hard to be perfect and that goes for the media as well.

Capturing those great moments is special. It becomes part of our history and our collective conscious. It creates a record of what happened, not just for the people watching at home but for the friends and family of those who bring everyone these great moments.

I have watched way too much Olympic coverage but I would not have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment