Tuesday, July 27, 2010

My, My, Hey, Hey, Rock 'N Roll Is Here To Stay

I have been to see a lot of concerts in my life. It is one of my favorite things to do. I have seen many of the biggest acts in the world. While enjoying music I love occasionally the talent of the performer is blatantly obvious. This was the case last night when I saw the Godfather of Grunge, Neil Young performed last night at the Centennial Concert Hall in Winnipeg.

This was a Neil Young show. This was not a Neil Young and Crazy Horse show. This was not a Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young show. This was not a Neil Young with a backup band show. This was not Neil Young and a couple of guys show. The only one who performed was Neil Young.

If it was an acoustic song he played the acoustic guitar. If it was an electric song he played the electric guitar. If it was an organ song he played the organ. If it was a piano song he played the piano.

His talent for songwriting and his love of performing was obvious. He engaged the audience in a show that was how I would imagine hanging out in his basement as he played music for a couple of hours. He played songs I love and songs I didn't know. All the songs were great.

Often my appreciation of a performer increases if I get a chance to see them live. Now that I've seen Winnipeg's favorite son I truly and fully understand his broad and engaging appeal. He can truly communicate through music. He can grab an audience and keep them listening for ever.

Last night I saw one of the most influential people in music in the last 50 years perform. I am very glad I did.



No comments:

Post a Comment