Saturday, January 15, 2011

Good Idea?

Two months ago yesterday I left Winnipeg to move to Ottawa. Two months ago tomorrow I will have arrived in the Nation's Capital to make it my new home. I have not spent all my time here. I have been back to Manitoba twice since moving (one was a work related trip) but I have had some time to start to settle into life.

Any time you are presented with a change opportunity you never know if things are going to work out for the better or not. That's part of the fun of life. That's part of the adventure. That's part of why we live. I could have stayed in the job I knew in the city I knew but I chose to uproot everything and move on.

The natural question that I have been asks several times is, "How do you like Ottawa?"

I have no regrets changing jobs and moving to a new city.

I find I really like the city. It is clean, historic, fun, and very safe. I found a great place to live. I have lots of space, the layout is good, and everyone likes the view. I work with good people and have an interesting job. I find the people in Ottawa very friendly. I find the vagrants entertaining. I see a few everyday walking home from work.

I also have come to discover I love to walk to work. I was not sure about this part and figured it may be a show-stopper. Not only has it not hindered my experience I think it has improved my quality of life. I look forward to walking to work every single day and the walk home helps me release the inevitable stress of the workday.

The only thing that has not exceeded my expectations is my lack of social life. I know a few people in my new city but not a lot, yet. I am meeting people and things are slowing improving. I knew this was going to happen. I knew it would be like this and its ok. Meeting people takes time and as I become more involved with things and become a part of the community and not just a resident of the city I will build a network of friends. In a way it is very exciting that I get to meet new people and forge new friendships.

I wasn't sure if I was going to miss living in Winnipeg. To be honest I miss my friends but I do not miss Winnipeg. If I could transport a few here I would not look back. Life does not work that way but we can always wonder. There are a lot of great things about Winnipeg. It has a vibrant and accessible music scene and a CFL team. I'm sure those gaps will be filled.

Relocating to a new city is difficult. You are forced to evaluate your life. You have to look at your finances, your needs, your wants, and your future. You have to let go of some of your past and be open to new experiences in the future. For this small town town prairie boy trying to make it in the big city I would not trade this experience. I'm excited by what each day will bring.

Picking up and moving is not for everyone. Each of us has a different situation and different considerations. That being said, if you are considering picking up and going somewhere new and have some reservations but think it might be ok, give it a try. It will make ordinary life exciting and can be very rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment