Thursday, January 20, 2011

Mind Over Weather

To be honest, I don't like winter. I never have and I probably never will. That being said, I don't have to succumb to the trappings of winter.

I think wee all need to understand how windchill works. Windchill is an approximation of what exposed skin feels based on the ambient temperature and wind speed. The windspeed is measured at the airport. This is out in the middle of a field. If you are walking next to a building that is shielding you from the wind, you cannot feel the windchill factor.

The other point is you can't let yourself feel defeated. You have to believe you can overcome the elements. You have to believe the weather is not bothering you. You have to look for the benefits you are currently enjoying.

Since moving to Ottawa, I now walk to work. The weather is not always nice. There have been several days that have been cold or very snowy. If you don't believe this is a bad thing, it won't bother you. I know we are not always perfectly cheerful but if you don't approach the weather with a generally positive disposition, you will lose to the weather.

It's easy to let the weather discourage you. You can't. There are too many days where it is not perfect, so you must make a point of living mind over weather.



No comments:

Post a Comment