Monday, January 24, 2011

Winnipeg Cold

It was -29 degrees Celsius this morning when I left to walk to work this morning. That's Winnipeg cold. There was an upside, the sidewalks were not slippery so I could walk fairly quickly. It took my usual thirty minutes to get to the office. I caught quite a few lights along the way.

There were a few things I noticed today. The most obvious is people were very bundled up. I don't blame them. It was cold. There were significantly fewer pedestrians on the sidewalks. I think what I liked the most is there were no vagrants anywhere on my walk home. Usually there are some around and they can be a bit much to deal with.

It looks like the coldest is over. It is supposed to warm up a bit over night and be -16 in the morning. I realize that is not quite suntanning weather but it will feel quite a bit better than this morning did. If it warms up to single digits during the day, going home will be quite fine.

A Winnipeg cold is a real shock to the system. You need one once in a while, mainly to remind you how good you have it most days. I'm happy we are not in for a 2 week deep freeze. That would be a bit much.



No comments:

Post a Comment