Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Resolution People

I think it's a good thing that people make the New Year's resolution to get into shape. A few, probably very few, actually stick with it and continue past January 21st. Unfortunately, for that 3 weeks until everyone falls off the wagon, the gym is way too busy. Resolution people fill the gym, use the equipment and most do really do too much.

I think one of the reasons people don't stick with exercising is the gym is too busy in January.

I worked out during some semesters in university. Summer holidays were where I would fall off the wagon. It often took a while to get back at it. After university I went several years without any fitness routine. When I finally got back to exercising it was at the end of October. It wasn't too busy in the gym and was really easy to stick with it, at least for me.

If you really want to stick to a workout routine, don't start in January. Start at a time that has meaning to you, but not everyone. A birthday or an anniversary are good examples. It will not be as busy at the gym and you will be more likely to keep going.

I will endure the crowds at the gym. I will remember that they mean well but most will give up and attendance levels will return to normal well before Valentine's Day. I will continue to work hard and see the results of my work.

If getting into shape is your New Year's resolution I fully encourage you to keep it up. We all benefit and after about a month you will see a huge increase in the quality of life. That is worth enduring the extra people at the gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment