Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Workout Cops

This morning the good old CBC reported that the Winnipeg Police Service members want time to exercise during the workday. Of course this sparks the usual debate on the CBC's webpage.

Here's where I weigh in.

I am fortunate enough to be able to take some work time to exercise.

I sit at a desk all day for many of my workdays.

It is important to keep yourself in descent shape. It has a direct effect on the quality of your life. It is important for police officers to be in shape to do their job. I honestly believe that they have a personal responsibility to be in good shape. The Winnipeg Police Service also has a responsibility to make it easy for their members to stay in shape.

I go to the gym three days a week. I exercise for about an hour and twenty minutes each time. I leave work about thirty minutes early two days a week and go once on the week-end. It works pretty good for me. My boss has a fitter, happier subordinate and I have an improved quality of life. I am sure the police service can work out some sort of arrangement for their members. Both parties benefit from the members exercising so both parties should give some to make it work.

I'm sure this will not work out for the best of all involved. I know it will be that someone along the way will be unreasonable. That seems to be how it works out. I also know everyone should be working on getting into better shape no matter how fit you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment