Monday, January 18, 2010

This May Truly Be a Sign The World is Ending

The earthquake in Haiti is horrible. Unfortunately, that small nation has allowed itself to degrade to the point that, and earthquake can be so devastating. It is one of the many signs that things are going badly in the world. Unfortunately, it is not the only instance that I have observed as of late that is really making me question the human condition.

As I was driving to work this morning, while I was still in the downtown area, I was stopped at a light. I noticed a police car ripping down the street I was about to cross. His lights were on and his siren was going. It was very clear they were on their way to a call. The police were headed somewhere to help people.

Shortly before the police cruiser reached the intersection I was at the light for my direction turned green. I waited to let the car thought the intersection, however two pedestrians started to cross the street in front of this police car as its lights were on and siren going. They didn't speed up. They continued to walk at a leisurely pace across the street. delaying the police car from continuing to the call they were responding to.

How can anyone be so self absorbed to not wait on the curb and let an emergency vehicle proceed to an emergency. At one point we, as a society decided it was a good idea to let certain vehicles to proceed quickly but carefully in response to emergency situations. You must not care about others to delay aid to someone who may need it.

Not caring about others is what allowed Haiti to decompose to the point it could not withstand an earthquake. I hope no where else in the world we ever get to that point, but it looks like we could.

1 comment:

  1. There are those who gain satisfaction in sabotaging the efforts of those trying to contribute to society. You saw two of them crossing the street.

    ReplyDelete