Sunday, September 26, 2010

Fun At Work

I have been a fan of Guns 'n Roses since the first time I heard Paradise City. The sound of Axl's voice combined with the unbelievable guitar played by a guy called Slash. It was part of an album that music lovers still gravitate to.

Last December I saw the current incarnation of Guns 'n Roses. Which is really just Axl with a band of musicians. However, there was the voice. Slash was not there and something was missing.

A couple of years ago I saw Velvet Revolver. There was the Slash guitar. It was a really good show but again something was not quite right.

Last Friday I saw Slash on his current solo tour. Again there was no Axl. He says the two of them will never perform together again. Many people, including myself, think one day they will.

Slash has a rather unique job. He plays guitar in a rock n roll band for a living. Many people play guitar in a band but very few are successful. I don't know about any other recent shows but on Friday he looked like he was really having fun at work. He played really well. As anyone who is familiar with Slash's work knows, he has a very unique sound. His playing sucks you in to a sonic adventure.

He is the best of his generation.

The show was amazing. I watched him and his very talented band from the second balcony of the Burton Cummings Theatre in Winnipeg. This venue adds to any show held there. The crowd was into it. They were true fans. They enjoyed old Gunners tunes, Velvet Revolver tunes, Slash's Snakepit tunes, and songs from his new solo album. The band could feel their enthusiasm and they fed off it. By the time the first jangly notes of Paradise City were played by the man who wrote them I don't think anyone in the building was not completely engaged with what was going on in that room.

I have a great job. I don't write about it here but I will say I want to be as good at what I do as Slash is at what he does and I want to have as much fun while doing. He truly enjoyed his work that night and it showed.

I don't know if I can ever get to that point but I hope I can some day.



No comments:

Post a Comment