Thursday, September 2, 2010

Getting Back At It

During my summers I don't live at home. I don't live too far away, about an hour drive. Once you consider the long days getting home is not really an option. This isn't a big deal but I do have to turn off the life a bit. Having said that, I am back home and returning to my life.

It's takes some effort to get back to normal.

Over the summer I stop by my place about once a week. Unread the mail and ensure everything is ok. I may stay the evening or I may head back out. It seems a lot of envelopes and used glasses seem to accumulate. A glass of water while reading the mail doesn't make a big individual mess but it does accumulate.

All the stuff I take with me has to be unpacked and either cleaned or returned to where it belongs. Again this is time and effort.

If you are away for several weeks you need to restock the food. Not much point in keeping food around if you are not. On those few occasions where you want to stay home and eat during the summer a pizza will do just fine.

A very important part of returning is to track down the friends I have neglected. The people I call my friend are the most amazing individuals. I always feel bad when I go away for the summer and barely speak a word to them. They deserve better. I do make a point of regularly updating my Facebook status so at least they know how I'm doing but, it's not the same.

Over the years people have often asked why I do this every summer. There are times I wonder as well. The best I can figure is it prevents me from living an ordinary life. When I look back I want to see a unique and varied existence. I want to be able to tell stories or amazing moments, interesting people, and exciting adventures. To do that some sacrifices need to be made. If not living at home in ten sum er will bring this then I am happy to do so.

Different people want different things in life. It's part of what makes life amazing. If it is important to you then you will be able to make the necessary sacrifices to get it. We can't do it all but we can do what is most important. Make sure you are doing the right things for what is important to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment