Saturday, September 11, 2010

A Touch of Class

Last year during Breast Cancer Awareness month NFL players and coaches were encouraged to wear pink during games to raise awareness for annual screenings for this horrible disease that effects so many. It was very well received and I am happy the league and its players ran with it and are doing it again this year.

I sat down today to play some Madden 11 on my Playstation 3. As the game started up the machine told me an update was required. I begrudgingly updated my game and away I went. Usually the updates fix some glitch or add some feature I don't really care about.

I was very happy to see that you can play in the Breast Cancer Awareness Month mode. The players and coaches have pink on and at the 2 minute warning they give the official announcement including the website you can go to for more information.

I thought this was excellent and applaud Electronic Arts and the NFL for doing this. This in an excellent way to use a very popular platform to raise awareness for a very important cause. It could have been easy for them to not bother or become bogged down but they used their profile to make a difference.

I don't play a lot of video games. I watch more movies on my PS3 than play games. Gaming is not seen as having much of a social conscious. Many games are violent and have dark themes. I personally have no issue with this but I am happy to highlight when a huge moneymaking venture takes some time to do some good.

I realize some of what they are doing is including it because it is 'in the game.' That's ok by me. We should not discourage good acts.

I personally commend Electronic Arts and the NFL for including this feature in the game.

1 comment:

  1. Thank godness the NFL is there to raise awareness about breast cancer. How would people know about it otherwise? Turns out the NFL makes a huge profit off of their pink "awarness" merchandise. If they truly cared they would give all the profits to Breast Cancer research.

    And why don't they raise awareness for heart disease which kills more women than breast cancer?? Turns out heart disease isn't a sexy disease with cute pink merchandise to sell.

    ReplyDelete