Thursday, September 22, 2011

Ride On

As I was reading the news online on the CBC today I came across a story indicating that a lot of people are unhappy with the route changes implemented by OC Transpo. To that I have a couple of things to say.


First, if you think there are problems with public transit in Ottawa you should try to take the bus in Winnipeg. Ask anyone from Winnipeg, they will fill you in.


Second, since one of the big complaints is overcrowding it should be noted there are a lot of people using the bus that really don't need to. I have witnessed this every time I have been on an OC Transpo bus, people wait for the bus, get on, go two stops and get off. I am not talking about elderly people, or parents with small children. I am talking about able bodied people.


There are two things that are not right with this. 


This behaviour makes the bus more crowded. There are a lot of people who have to travel a great distance each day and are not in a financial position to drive. Be it they can't afford a car or can't afford to park, it really doesn't matter, they need the bus to travel a long distance.


Additionally, if you are able bodied, you would benefit from the short walk. With the wait to get on the bus and the slow speed it travels you are probably only saving a minute or two. You will also see the health benefit of being active. That's a whole different entry.


I don't take the bus very often. If the weather is very miserable, I will consider it. I took it home from work one day when I seemed to be coming down with the flu. It was also raining that day so it seemed reasonable.


Travelling by transit bus is affordable but most affordable options don't come with convenience. It is a trade-off. I understand how a change to a routine can be upsetting and if you had your system worked out and it was changed on you that is definitely frustrating but if you choose to rely on the bus you have to live by their whims.


I do see public transit as a viable means to get around and compared to many cities, Ottawa has a good system, however if you don't need to use it, consider leaving the capacity to someone who does.

No comments:

Post a Comment